Good afternoon everybody,
it seems slightly odd to be sending this just as gliding re-starts, however the Comp Directors
and TGC Committee have thought long and hard about it and have decided to cancel this year's competition.
There are a number of reasons underpinning that decision, including our ability to maintain social distancing and appropriate hygiene in a competition environment with so many more people present than during normal club flying as well as concerns about currency and XC safety for some of the less experienced pilots and those whose gliders are out of ARC and are in a queue to get flying again. On top of all this is The Gliding Centre's need to rebuild core membership - with a strong desire to offer club members the maximum opportunity to fly after our lay-off. Hence our decision to cancel the 2020 competition.
We're sorry! You now have two options:
you can ask for your entry to be deferred until next year. We can't at this stage confirm the date of the 2021 competition, this will be settled later in the summer when the Nationals programme is finalised.
you can have a refund. We will give this year's entrants a chance to enter the 2021 competition ahead of opening entries to other pilots.
Please let us know, and meanwhile we wish you a healthy and safe return to what we hope will be lots of great flying in 2020. We hope to see you in 2021.
Liz Sparrow and Colin Davey, Competition Directors
and on behalf of The Gliding Centre's Committee